Monday 14 March 2011

Negative calorie carrots.

Deep bed no.3 started today.  3ft of bed yields a barrow load of stones but hopefully will yield something more edible come summer.  Exhausting work and I'm sure I will not get the energy back from the carrots!  However, if I followed that train of thought I would be in a call centre eating carrot sticks so bollocks to that.  This is the reason we're all a bunch of pasty, bleary-eyed, flabby, useless, overly dependant cheesy bellends: someone tells us it's better to do this or that instead of just digging and hammering bits of wood together and suddenly we're half the men and women our grandparents were, knowing nothing useful and having posture problems to boot.  None of my books can tell me what a pig actually eats, either: "2.5kg of a 16% protein nut" - what the hell is that then? Dunno.  Sounds like it fell off a tractor.  What's in a protein nut?  Nobody knows but I suspect it's soya from what used to be the Amazon and pilchards caught by my favourite fishing boat.  What did grandpappy feed his pig before "16% protein nuts" were invented?  I need an old book that has things like "feed it a porridge made from cracked wheat and whey, and all the shite from your veg garden".  Abebooks here I come.
Was also going to weed the asparagus bed but it's a mass of dry turf roots with docks poking through so I sacked it off and went and ate some cake in the polytunnel with a pint mug of tea.
Also got the first sowing of spring broad beans and early peas sprouting in the polytunnel.  Can't believe it's been a year since I did the same thing!  Time flies.

3 comments:

  1. All work and no play makes for a very dull person, so enjoy the pint of tea and cake; well deserved after the stair building project. Soon there will be NO fish left in the oceans re: your fav fishing boat but I think the Domino Effect has already started and we are seeing the beginnings of the end of civilisation as we know it. Reality bites hard for our children's children's children...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love what you have to say. what happened to physical work? if we use less machine power and got off our butts to support our eating habit we'd all have big happy smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! New followers! Thanks for the comments Dennis and Tammy. Physical work went out when "Made in China" stickers came in and people thought manual work was bad for them. Two types of "Made in China" though - see their wooden bridges and compare to placcy tat that gets shipped everywhere...

    ReplyDelete